Tuesday, November 10, 2009

pouring salt water on my wounds

Today is tuesday, every Tuesday I teach a Baby & Me Aquafit class. 
In this class, babies are put into little floatation rings and play 
with toys while their mommies get a work out. Its a super cute class, 
sometimes too cute, but I like it. 

Today though, just before class I bumped into a father who attended 
my Hypnosis for Childbirth class with his wife. He let me know they had 
a wonderful, easy homebirth just as they had planed and then he asked 
me how MY pregnancy was going. WHAATT?? news to me!! 
I was kinda stunned silent and really had no Idea what to say other then, 
"Nope, no baby yet!" with a fake smile.....like I really truly believed it 
would be any day now! 

He really was quite confused, he looked me up and down and 
said "oh, ah..um....I thought I heard through the grapevine that you 
were expecting!". Yeah right! I could see the sweat beginning to bead 
on his temples! In a desperate attempt to allay this situation and put 
him out of his misery, I made up this whole elaborate story about 
my boss getting wind that my husband and I were going to START 
trying soon, so thats what he must of heard "through the grapevine". 
I thought that was better then:

"oh no, no, I am not pregnant, I have been trying and trying but can't seem
to get it right.  What you see there is 10+ extra pounds of fat because 
I'm too scared to exercise and knock a potential embryo off my uterine
lining"

Awkward! 

8 comments:

  1. OMG. I am so sorry you had to hear that. It really is like rubbing salt in your wounds. I once had a woman at work ask me if I was expecting, and when I said no she said, "Oh well at least you aren't looking as anorexic as usual." Um, thanks?! And when I had OHSS a woman asked me when I was due ... sadly it was just a belly full of fluid from a failed IVF. =( My point is, I totally, completely understand how you must feel. People can be really insensitive and most of the time they don't even realize it because they don't stop to think before speaking.

    *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH! What an awkward conversation. That's a tough conversation to back peddle out of. I think it would have left me reeling as well. It was very thoughtful of you to try to make him feel better though. Just shows what a nice person you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. No fun at all. Sorry you had that run-in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there. HAd that experience and it is so hard (but can men and women attend your class?) Planning ahead, oh and something to remmeber for your next class, 1 in 6 couples experience infertility... and I like telling myself that every babybump is an infertile babybupm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know he probably didn't mean any harm but I'd like to punch him in the face regardless! Sorry you had to be in that awful situation ((((((HUGS)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. You poor thing! That was extremely gracious of you to help him wiggle out of it, though. I suppose we rarely get that kind of compassion from others who really have a right to be more on the defensive. Kudos to you! I am heading to meet a certain coworker for the first time today and I'm really bracing myself against the "So,do you have kids?" question that will no doubt come up in the 'getting to know you' phase. Thinking of not wearing my wedding band to see if that keeps it at bay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a saint! You handled it beautifully. :) Still sucks though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally laughing about the 10 pounds/not exercising thing. You handled that well, I say!

    ReplyDelete